Friday, February 28, 2014

Never Stop Learning

I'm always searching through books or internet articles for insight on improving my drawing skills. I've tried hard to find that "magic pill", the "quick fix" and the best advice I've found to date is ... "Go draw something. Repeat."

Sometimes drawing can feel so effortless and then there are times when I erase more lines than I draw. I know that I'm not alone judging by the groans I hear around me. Drawing never gets old, I'm never too tired for it, I never, ever don't want to draw - no matter the outcome - I learn something about myself or drawing every week.

"A good drawing says: "not so fast, buster". We have had a gutfull of fast art and fast food. What we need more of is slow art: art that holds time as a vase holds water: art that grows out of modes of perception and whose skill and doggedness make you think and feel; art that isn't merely sensational, that doesn't get its message across in 10 seconds, that isn't falsely iconic, that hooks onto something deep-running in our natures. In a word, art is the very opposite of mass media. For no spiritually authentic art can beat mass media at their own game. But drawing never dies, it holds on by the skin of its teeth, because the hunger it satisfies - the desire for an active, investigative, manually vivid relation with the things we see and yearn to know about - is apparently immortal. 

- Robert Hughes


Our thanks to Sarah for perfect poses every time!

Janet will pose on March 3rd
Chris will pose on March 10th
Emily will pose on March 17th
Breanne will pose on March 24th
K.C. will pose on March 31st


Chris Irby
Chris Irby
Ed King
Ed King
Ed King 
Ronald Jackson
Ronald Jackson
Ronald Jackson
Sally Rhone-Kubarek
Sally Rhone-Kubarek
Sally Rhone-Kubarek
Susan Ishii 
Susan Ishii 
Susan Ishii
 artists maintain the copyright to all images posted

No comments:

Post a Comment